Have you ever thought?
What really happens behind the scenes at a museum? Why archaeologists dig and what they do with it all? How you work out the age of a photograph? Who decides what goes on art gallery walls? And how you get a job doing these things?
There are hundreds of fascinating jobs in the cultural sector. That includes museums, galleries, the arts, archives, archaeology and heritage sites like castles. There are jobs you might have heard of like a curator, tour guide, or someone who creates exhibitions. But have you thought they also run as a business, with marketing, promotion, events, catering, website, maintenance, recruiting staff, finance, fundraising and retail?
Really, no matter what subjects you like, what your interests are or what course you are studying, there will be a job to suit you in the cultural sector. It is our aim to help you become more aware of this potential career avenue.
Scroll for useful information…
Want Some Information?
Use the Useful Links to find out more. Below explains what’s on the links.
1. Download the Cultural Careers Guidebook to begin with. It is a useful guide to some of the job types, as well as skills, qualifications, routes and pathways in. It also has top tips for getting experience to help in interviews.
2. Cultural Careers 5 Top Tips is useful if you want some quick tips about how to build up your skills.
3. Culture Links aims to help students in Surrey find out what jobs, routes and skills are in museums, galleries, heritage and arts organisations. Want to know more? Follow this Culture Links page link
4. Visit the careers sections on the websites of the organisations that guide our sectors
Arts Council England (ACE) for museums, galleries, libraries and the arts
Archives and Records Association (ARA) for archives
The Chartered Institute for Archaeology (CiFA) for archaeologists
5. Explore general careers advice sites